Monday, April 19, 2010

The Rest of the Story

Wow - I guess it's been a long time since I stopped riding in the RAV4 and sleeping in the little house on wheels. I got home and it just felt so good to sleep in the sun that that's about all I've done.


After we left Lake Manatee State Park in Florida, the peeps hit the freeway north. Interstate 75 goes from Florida to Michigan so, they seemed to think that was the best way to go. Seemed kind of boring to me but there were a lot of nice flowering trees in Southern Georgia. We finally got to Reed Bingham State Park just outside of Adel, Georgia. It was a nice little park - not too crowded. We had some neighbors who really liked me a lot. Guess they don't see too many cats on the road. The peeps tried to have a fire but the wood was green and so they couldn't really get anything going. I'm surprised that the parks sell wood like that. My peeps know their wood and that was just no good! That's about all I know about that.


Georgia is a big state. Not as big as Minnesota but, we were still in Georgia the next night at Cloudland Canyon State Park. There is a big waterfall and lots of nice trails to hike in this park. Linda said that we my need to visit again because as it turned out, the weather wasn't too good for outdoor activities. It was really foggy and windy when we got in which means, no campfire. Then in the night, there was big rain and howling wind. The peeps kept humming some kind of sorrowful song but when the water started pouring in a window, they changed their tune. The little house seemed to be developing some problems.


The next day, we were on the road again so I got plenty of well deserved rest. It was kind of neat to drive through "spring" again on the way up north. We stayed Kentucky the next night at Fort Boonesborough State Park. According to the peeps, they had great showers available but, luckily, I didn't have to experience them. This park was established at the site where Daniel Boone established a settlement in 1775. The peeps were going to visit the museum and fort but, I convinced them to sleep late into the morning and so they didn't leave me alone just so they could wander around. We just had to hit the road again.


Marte's oldest son, wife & daughters live in Oxford, Ohio so we headed in that direction the next day. They just left me in the little house while they drove around, visited another cousin, Denise and ate lunch. I didn't really get to meet these folks. The adults all work at Miami University in one way or another. According to Zac, the Miami Men's Hockey team went to the men's frozen four. Of course, Linda had to brag up the Women Bulldogs who had already WON their NCAA Frozen Four.

That night we stayed at Hueston Woods State Park which is just a few miles from Zac & Tricia's house. Tricia got us headed in the right direction so it was easy to find. The peeps picked a nice level spot near the bath house and got us parked and "hooked up." Unfortunately, they discovered that there was no water hook-up. Oh well,. They didn't think it would be so bad until they discovered that almost all of the bath houses were locked except for the one that was a long ways away. Oh well. I just found a good place to hang out and took a little nap. It seemed like a really nice park but we got there a month before summer.


A nice thing about Hueston Woods is that it was only a half a day's drive to Swanton, Ohio. That's where Marte lives with her husband Scott and a couple of huge dogs. Scott got us all hooked up electricity and water so, it was quite civilized. We got to spend a couple of nights there which was really nice. I took a couple of walks around her garden and field but those dogs - wow! She has some nice water gardens but I wasn't allowed to drink from them so I'm not sure what good they are. I also got to see another of Marte's kids, Heidi & her two cuties. Here's some pictures of all that stuff:





I liked being there except for the noisy military airplanes that flew over twice a day. Who knows what that is about?


After a while, my main peep, Linda and I hit the turnpikes and headed home to Minnesota. It turns out that the Wisconsin parks don't open until the middle of April and it was only April 1st when we were there. We had just one more night in a motel and then I was at Grandma Lu's. I guess the little house is back at the dealers in Fridley, Minnesota for some more repairs but, I've heard the peeps talking about bringing it home in a few days in order to get ready for another wild ride.


I'm going to take a little nap now and then post some pictures on the photo page. G'nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment