Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mississippi Headwaters

Wow! I thought I was just going for short ride but, when I realized that the little house with wheels was hooked to the RAV 4, I knew I was in for another adventure.

It turns out that we all went for a drive west of here to Cass Lake and then to Itasca State Park. I don't know why they go on these trips since it was rainy almost all of the time. Not so great for "camping" as my peeps call it.

At one time they left me to sleep in the little house (which I did), while they went to do some shopping and eating in Bemidji. I guess that's where they saw that big ox and the lumberjack. Glad I didn't see it; they look scary.

We did have some fun watching guys. Now, I know that my peeps don't usually get such a kick out of watching guys but these were really exceptional. At Cass Lake, there were a bunch of guys who were polishing a boat - about three hours each day. I mean it was raining and they were out there with there Armorall and all kinds of products in spray bottles and wiping and polishing and putzing with their big red boat. I have no idea what the point of all this was supposed to be. It seemed like they never got it all dried before it rained again. And so what? It's a boat! It goes in the water! Oh well, I guess they were having a good time with their fancy big toy.

At Itasca State Park, the guys were driving the big machines back and forth on all of the dirt roads in the campground all day. It was all I could do to sleep through the droning noise of the grader. Then, the next day, some fast driving guy went through the entire camp again on a four-wheeler, dragging a bed spring! Yes! A bed spring! I guess they they were smoothing out all of the roads for the upcoming season but, holy cow was it loud. Anyhow, Linda discovered that the park had wireless and so, she lived through the droning and Anne was in White Earth so she didn't have to listen to it all.

It actually turns out that the peeps wanted to go the the headwaters of the Mississippi River which is there in Itasca State Park so, on Monday morning, they packed me up and took me there too. What a sight!! Especially after seeing it in New Orleans in January, it was just a little bitty thing up here. They let me walk all the way on a leash which was just a little over a quarter of a mile! I was exhaused but it gave me a chance to show a couple of people that indeed, cats can walk on a leash. It gave me the opportunity to be a good example of my species and broaden some horizens for some peeps.

Well, needless to say I was so exhaused that I slept all the way back to Duluth.

No comments:

Post a Comment