Saturday, May 29, 2010

Heading to Colorado

It took quite a bit of time and effort for the peeps to get on the road this time. There was a chipmunk loose in the basement so, as you can imagine, that caused quite a stir and it took a long time to capture it. I slept through most of the chasing it around, I'monly onterested in them when they are outside.


Finally, they tossed me in the RAV and we were off on another mysterious, wild ride! The first night,we only made it to Albert Lea. Couldn't even get out of Minnesota because we stopped to visit Grandma Lu, Laura and REI (for the smart wool sock sale.) What ever that is.


Any how, we were at one of Minnesota's fine State Parks, Myre Big Island. It was really nice but we didn't get to stay very long because we were apparently, "late." We hit the road and I rode through Iowa and a lot of Nebraska. It was marginally interesting and so, I slept past farms, fields and rivers. We camped in Lexington, Nebraska. We traveled close to 500 miles this day and the next day, which takes a long time when you only go 55 miles per hour!


The next day, we were off and driving to the Rocky Mountains. Wow! We went through high passes and high mountain meadows. The highest was Kenosha Pass at 10,000 feet. There was hardly enough air to breath but we stopped and rested a lot so I got to walk in grass and drink water quite often. And it was really hot! About 90 degrees much of the day. Finally, we got where we were going, Poncha Springs near the headwaters of the Arkansas River. We stayed in Heart of the Rockies Campground. It was really windy but otherwise quite nice. The peeps went off on a drive along the river where they saw a herd of Big Horn Sheep and lots of rafters bobbing and screaming through the rapids on the river. The rivers are all really fast and high now because they are still getting snow melt off the mountains ( see pictures).

Well, I'm going to post some pictures and get some more sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment