Monday, June 7, 2010

They've been to the mountain

I know it's been a while since I posted but the peeps were staying at camps that didn't have wi-fi. Can you imagine how primitive that can be?


We left the Mesa Verde area on June 4th and headed up to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park. It was a warm day to travel but the peeps seemed to really like the canyon. We were only there for one night so they just took a drive along the South Rim to look at the amazing deep and narrow canyon and came back to the trailer to be with me. It was a really low key place since there was no water available - so only pretty hardy souls ( like us) were camping there.

The next day, we hit I-70 which the peeps expected to be a regular dull interstate. I guess they forgot they were in the Rockies. The scenery was so spectacular and the highway engineering was so impressive, even I had to stay awake some of the time. The peeps got to talking about how their fathers', Dave ( the engineer) and Bob ( the electrician and general all around do it yourself person), would have loved to see the amazing feats of engineering on this road. That night we were in Frisco, Colorado at a camp in the White River National Forest. It was called Heaton Bay camp. Unfortunately, this was the second night without water so the peeps are getting a little cranky and skanky. They didn't plan this but the water main in Frisco was broken - guess my friends in Duluth can understand this issue. We all have to conserve (as long as I have my special water fountain).

Now we are at the Spruce Lake RV Resort in Estes Park, Colorado. Estes Park is very high, 7,546 feet above sea level - especially if you are from a 1,093 elevation ( Duluth), it can make you feel a little icky. We got in yesterday afternoon and will stay until Wednesday morning. My peeps gave me some special water ( an injection under the skin) and I feel a lot better today. The peeps went on a big drive up to the tundra area of Rocky Mountain National Park. They really felt icky since it was over 12,000 feet elevation. I think they really had a great time anyhow because they saw two baby Great Horned Owls, many Elk, a few Big Horned Sheep and TUNDRA! Also, a lot of snow, strong winds and a very windy road.

Once they got back to camp and Linda had a nap we looked up behind our campsite and saw a bear walking along behind us! We thought we might see a bear in the national park - but no, we saw it next to our little camper. Some of the people from Lincoln NB were a little freaked out - but bears are something we know about from N.MN.

Oh yeah, the other thing is we are camped on the Big Thompson River. Just a little note from the National Weather Service: THE BIG THOMPSON RIVER CONTINUED TO BE NEAR TO JUST ABOVE BANKFULL IN THE TOWN OF ESTES PARK. THERE HAVE BEEN NO ROAD CLOSURES AND THE DOWNTOWN RIVERWALK IN ESTES PARK REMAINED OPEN. RESIDENTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO STAY SAFELY AWAY FROM THE SWIFT WATER.

We have had big thunder storms and some rain last night and tonight but, I'm all tucked in safe in the little house. Several people have admired me here at the camp and I met a lady at a stoplight in Boulder who really was impressed by me. She said - "I can't believe it - I always see dogs looking out the window, this is the first cat I've seen in a car! Hello Butch from MN, I'm Beth from Boulder."

No comments:

Post a Comment