Wednesday, January 6, 2010

OK, OK so I'm sluffing off on the posts. I'm so busy finding sunny places in the little house, it's hard to keep up with all of the news.

Yesterday, the peeps were gone a long time. Apparently, they took a drive to Mississippi to see some sandhill cranes at a wild life refuge. From what they say, the miles, and miles of coastline are still empty as a result of the hurricane, Katrina. Lot after lot along the coast of Mississippi is still empty. There are sidewalks to no house, roads to no neighborhoods and general devestation visable all along the Gulf Shore from Slidell, Lousianna to as far as they went in Mississippi. The amount of public re-building (parks, civic ceneters, piers, docks, etc.) is impressive but there are clearlytremnedous losses still being felt by individuals affected by that storm.

They finally came home and Linda cooked a pasta dinner which is a good thing.

Today, the peeps were off again to a new adventure. If you can believe this, they went on a Swamp Tour. Huh?? It was the Honey Swamp. Named after the fact that bees were introduced by the English invaders to make honey from the sweet blossoms of the tuplo gum tree. (Hello Van Morrison). I guess that, even though it sounds kind of strange to those of us from the north, they seem to have had a good time learning about bayous, swamps, marshes, etc. They got to see some cool wild life too, including a red shouldered hawk and several herons.

On their way home, they stopped to walk around the Big Branch Marsh which is a National Wildlife Refuge and home to the Red-cockaded Woodpecker which they were fortunate to see.

Not satisfied with the adventures of the day, they had to stop at a drive in daquari joint. Hard to believe but, because the straws are not inserted into the tops of the styrafoam lids by the bar tender, it is "legal". Whatever. The peeps didn't drink while driving, they came home to try the tropical cocktails.

I put some photos up but not the captions. I'll do that later. I have to sleep now. G'nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment